Saturday, September 22, 2007

Daejeon


Last weekend I got my first lesson in the minute differences between pronouncing ㅈ(a sound slightly between a j and a ch) and ㅊ (a ch sound) when I tried to buy my bus ticket to the city of Daejeon and ended up in a beach an hour south of here called Daecheon. So, back on a bus for another 2 hours through rain and over miles of beautiful, pine-covered mountains until I reached Daejeon, the fifth largest city in Korea.

Its sad being stuck in a place you don't know and especially with the rainstorm that blew into Daejeon on Friday, I was extremely lonely for really the first time since arriving in Korea. I ended up wandering through apartment stores until eventually I resorted to going to a DVD bang -- a mini theater type business that are all over the place here where you can watch a movie on a big screen tv in tiny, private rooms. The rain also ruined my plans to spend the night in this elaborate jimjillbang (Korean spa) that is supposed to be covered in plants and fake animals to resemble a mini terrestrium and, instead, I ended up in a jimjillbang for drunken Korea men who pass out next to tons of empty bannana boxes (I don't know what the empty bananna boxes were for or from???).


Anyways, Saturday was a step in the right direction. I randomly started climbing a mountain after the rains let up and wandered until I found the trail head to a mountain-top temple. Along the way I met an old man who had moved frmo his life-long home of Seoul to Daejeon so that he could be closer to the hospital that was treating him for cancer. He hiked the path we were on everyday to ward off the cancer and so showed me some amazing hidden views along overgrown paths through the curbs and woods of the mountain. We talked as best as my limited Korean and his limited English would allow us about the Japanese occupation, growing up being forced to learn Japanese, and how the man felt about the Japanese now. It was one of the most impressionable conversations that I think I've had with someone even though we couldn't understand half of what we said to one another. This weekend is generally how Korea has been treating me: for every miserable thing that gets me down, something or someone amazing pops up to let me know how much there is to know about this place.

No comments: